Sunday, June 30, 2013

UPDATED: In Which The Author Apologizes for Another Delay

UPDATE: The check taketh, the check giveth back. Apparently after I was told about the additional health insurance cost, what the payroll person did NOT tell me was that I was also getting a 2% cost of living increase. 2% does not seem like much but it should offset most of the additional insurance, so, my budget readjusts once more. Nice of her to tell me this, huh. Anyway, what this means is that debt gets paid off with no further inconvenience to my living expenses and, when I get the Q2 royalties sometime toward the end of the month, I can use part of that to get Honor's cover done and the book into the e-book store. So, bit of a silver lining. I'll take it!


I can't catch a break, can I.

I'm going through the second to last draft, just one more round; I have beta reader plowing (slogging) through the morass. If I really stretched myself in a writerly way I'd be making my self imposed July 20 upload for book 4.

But.

I am once again in a financial bind. My razor thin budget just got annihilated by a $20 increase per paycheck of my health insurance. That's $40 per month. Which means I can't pay the cover artist the $40 to make the next book cover (and no, my Photoshop Fu is not up to the challenge. I have none. I can't even find the fricking dojo, so yeah). It costs nothing to put the book up on Smashwords but I'm not about to put up a half assed coverless book and ask people to pay me for that, so.

What happened, you ask? Short story short was I got hit with an unexpected bill that I had been told I wouldn't owe and had made arrangements to pay it off one way (slowly) that then got changed on me at the last minute so now I have to pay it back, quickly. Combined with the loss of income on the insurance side, I now have negative discretionary spending allowance. This includes being unable to afford the meds that keep me mostly cough free. Which further means that publishing the book in the next couple of months becomes a luxury that I absolutely cannot afford. Yeah I could point at the Paypal donation button but I've already done so much asking and I'm still paying back/off things that were promised/paid for during the spring. I am all out of ask.

I'm sorry for the continued delay. Hopefully I can use the extra time to get one more good polish on the manuscript, but frankly financial BS ups the depression which kills the writing drive, and coupled with no meds? Yeah, not promising. Still we shall cross our fingers, toes, and eyes, and we shall see. I just want this book out of my head and finally out for sale so I can move on. But the fates hate me and that's okay, I think they suck too.

No comments:

Post a Comment