Friday, June 22, 2012

In Which the Author is ready to throw up hands at Kickstarter

So remember how I said I sent Kickstarter a question about why they don't rotate other videos into the front page collage, and I got a canned email about how they choose what gets featured and that it's SO much better for me to push the project on my own media sites--in short, they didn't answer it at all.

So I emailed them again, asking if they have live people reading these, because I want an answer about the rotation of front page videos. And I shit you not I got a response from someone named Emily who wrote one line saying, "Yes, real people answer these!" with a smiley face

followed by the EXACT SAME CUT AND PASTE CANNED EMAIL about what gets featured and that it's SO much better for me to push the project on my own media sites, etc.

I'm about ready to give up. I'm not asking for a feature, I just want to be rotated in once in awhile with all the other videos, to maybe catch a fresh eye, but apparently that's only for the cool kids.

Flowered kitten leggings? Front page coverage! Books? Back of the bus muchacha.

I'm about ready to just let it drop and work toward putting together an Indiegogo fundraiser with a smaller limit that I can reach or, if not, that at least I can get what gets donated.

I am so frustrated I can't even tell you. I feel like I let everyone down with the generous backers, art print donations, and every retweet or facebook post.

One would think, since they only get a cut of successful Kickstarters, it would be in their interest to rotate out those videos not just to the trendy or hip projects. The more successful projects, the more they get.

Apparently this is not part of their business model. So.

I'm going to go write some more. Kickstarter is not ended; it's still running. But other than spamming everyone again with tweets and requests for retweets and so on, which I don't want to inflict on people because that's just goddamned annoying, I'm at a loss for what to do now.

1 comment:

  1. That is really shabby of kickstarter. I *hate* canned-answer customer service. There's no better way of saying "We don't actually care about our customers as people, just dollars."

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though - the superstition will at least help me feel a little less anxious. You put a lot of work into this and I'm rooting for it too. ;_;

    Setting up other donation avenues, whether the kickstarter works or not, isn't a bad idea either. Or a PauC storefront where people can buy prints or the WWJD shirt!

    ReplyDelete